Derby City Council have submitted a planning application for the building of a multi-user path through Darley Park from near the Abbey Inn to the rowing clubs by Handyside Bridge. The Derwent Valley Cycleway project is strongly in favour of the creation of this path (which forms part of the proposed cycleway route) and are asking all our supporters to register their personal support for the plans.
The application is open for comments (until 26th September – note the deadline has been extended) and it is important that people supporting the plans register their comments. The Council have already held consultation events and well over 90% of the respondents were in favour of the plans. However, when similar plans were submitted a number of years ago, a very small but vocal minority managed to get the ear of the planning committee and have the plans voted down. We don’t want this to happen again!
It is important that the Council decision makers can see the overwhelming level of support for the creation of the path.
Features of the route include:
- Well designed route screened by existing hedges to avoid any impact on the landscape.
- Sympathetic surface colouring to blend in with the landscape.
- Provision of a flat route for all kinds of users including those with disabilities, families, dog walkers, cyclists and pedestrians.
- Links well with the route through Darley Fields providing a circular route for young cyclists, pedestrians or disability vehicles.
- Opportunity to provide increased custom to existing cafes in Darley Park and at the rowing club (The Duck House) as well as providing a scenic and well surfaced route from the City to the Abbey Inn.
To provide your comments please visit the Derby City Planning site and search for application number 05/17/00567. To submit a comment you need to register on the planning site and then login. You can make a simple comment of Object / Support / Neutral and can also add optional comments on the reasons for your support. Alternatively, you can submit letters of support by post.
Remember comments need to be submitted before 26th September.
The Darley Abbey Society has registered their objection to the plans and have mobilised a number of their contacts to also submit objections.
Please make the time for submitting your comments so that the overwhelming level of support for the path is visible to all the decision makers.